Thursday, April 22, 2021

Book Review: My Vertical Neighborhood

 




My Vertical Neighborhood

How Strangers Became a Community

by Lynda MacGibbon

InterVarsity Press

IVP

 Christian

Christian

Pub Date 30 Mar 2021 



I am reviewing a copy of My Vertical Neighborhood through InterVarsity Press and Netgalley:



What if we had our neighbors as our friends?  When Lydia MacGibbon moved from a small city in eastern Canada to a high-rise apartment in Toronto, she decided to follow Jesus' famous commandment to "love your neighbor" a bit more literally.  She would have looked for friends at her new job or her new church in the past but now she decided to look for friends among the strangers who shared her apartment building her actual neighbors in her new "vertical neighborhood."   





My Vertical Neighborhood is a charming and relatable memoir in which MacGibbon tells the story of the community that took shape as neighbors said yes to weekly dinners and a writing group, Christmas morning brunch and even a Bible study.  This is the story of a simple everyday risk of reaching out with love to those around us, and of the beauty and messiness of real human relationships.  It’s story of the risks and rewards of taking Jesus at his word.




I give My Vertical Neighborhood five out of five stars!



Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment