Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Stories We Tell

I was doing a google search for Young Adult Christian Novels dealing with young adults who inspire despite having a disability, and I wanted fictional stories, but I am afraid I did not get many hits, so I started thinking about Sienna's story, and knew this is what the Lord was telling me too.

I have learned more in the past few weeks as an author, because I have been studying more,  and  I have been praying over what I write as well.  Sienna's character speaks to me at all the hours of the day or night, and I try to put the best of what she tells me on the page.

As a writer you have to also be a reader, and that means reading a lot, thankfully that is something I truly enjoy.  I have discovered some good Christian Novels for teens, but not so many on the subject matter I have, so I have been reading some of what's available.

Their are many wonderful Christian authors out their, that I admire and look up to.  Everyone from Collen Coble, to BJ Robinson, Frank Perretti and Tedd Deeker, when I am in the mood for a Christian Horror type book it's generally a Tedd Deeker that I pick up.

I have learned too the importance of showing and not telling, their is a difference, that sometimes in the moment can be hard.

She was nervous.  Simply tells us something, but if we say she tapped her pencil, as she nervously studied, twirling her finger through her hair she prayed that she would make it through the test.

Okay perhaps not the best or most creative of examples but you get the idea.

In Christ's Love:
Michelle

Isaiah 40:30-31

New International Version (NIV)

30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
   and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the LORD
   will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
   they will run and not grow weary,
   they will walk and not be faint.

No comments:

Post a Comment